In the highly competitive world of eCommerce, businesses are constantly looking for ways to streamline their operations and improve customer satisfaction. One such method that has gained traction in recent years is kitting. This blog post will delve into the concept of kitting, explore how to use kitting in Shipedge’s Warehouse Management System (WMS), discuss the benefits of incorporating kitting into your business model, and explain why you should start using this powerful tool today.
What is Kitting?
Kitting is the process of assembling multiple individual items into a single, ready-to-ship package or product. This can be done for various reasons, such as creating a customized product bundle, simplifying inventory management, or reducing shipping costs. Kitting is particularly beneficial for eCommerce businesses because it allows them to offer unique product combinations and streamline their order fulfillment process.
Using Kitting in Shipedge’s WMS
Implementing kitting in Shipedge’s WMS is a straightforward process. Follow these steps to start utilizing kitting in your warehouse operations:
- 1. Create a Kit: Begin by creating a new product listing in the system for the kit itself. This will represent the assembled bundle, including a unique SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) for easy identification and tracking.
- 2. Add Components: Add the individual items that will comprise the kit as components. Each component should have its own SKU, and you should specify the quantity required for each piece within the kit.
- 3. Set Assembly Instructions: Provide clear assembly instructions for warehouse staff to follow when putting together the kit. This can include details such as packaging materials, assembly orders, and any special instructions for handling fragile items.
- 4. Configure Inventory Settings: Configure the inventory settings for the kit and its components within the WMS. This includes setting minimum stock levels, reorder points, and lead times, ensuring that you have adequate stock available for both the kit and its components.
- 5. Manage Orders: When a customer orders a kit, the WMS will automatically deduct the required components from your inventory and generate a pick list for the warehouse staff. Once the kit has been assembled and shipped, the system will update the kit’s inventory levels accordingly.
Discover how our WMS can improve your business
What Are the Benefits of Kitting?
Kitting can provide several advantages for your eCommerce business, including:
- Increased Sales: By offering product bundles or customized packages, you can attract new customers and encourage existing customers to make additional purchases. Kitting allows you to showcase related products and upsell complementary items, driving higher average order values and boosting revenue.
- Improved Customer Satisfaction: By offering customers the convenience of purchasing multiple items in a single package, you can enhance their overall shopping experience. Kitting can also reduce the likelihood of errors during order fulfillment, as the entire kit is shipped as a single unit, ensuring that all components arrive together.
- Streamlined Inventory Management: Kitting simplifies inventory management by reducing the number of individual SKUs that need to be tracked and managed. This can help reduce stock discrepancies and improve inventory accuracy, leading to more efficient warehouse operations.
- Reduced Shipping Costs: Assembling multiple items into a single package can lead to cost savings on shipping, particularly if the kit can be shipped in a more compact and efficient manner. This not only benefits your business but can also result in lower shipping costs for your customers.
- Decreased Seller Fees: Kitting provides a significant advantage by potentially reducing seller fees, as higher-priced sales often result in lower percentage charges in many marketplaces, thus maximizing profits in eCommerce selling channels.
Should I Use Kitting for My Business?
Incorporating kitting into your eCommerce business strategy can provide a significant competitive advantage. By offering unique product combinations, you can differentiate your brand from competitors and cater to the specific needs and preferences of your customers. Additionally, kitting can lead to operational efficiencies, cost savings, and improved customer satisfaction.
If you’re not already using kitting in your warehouse operations, now is the time to embrace this powerful tool. Shipedge’s WMS makes it easy to implement and manage kitting, so you can reap the benefits without adding unnecessary complexity to your operations. Here are some reasons why you should start kitting:
- 1. Personalization and Customization
- In today’s eCommerce landscape, personalization and customization are key drivers of customer loyalty and satisfaction. By offering tailored product bundles and kits, you can cater to a wider range of customer preferences and create a unique shopping experience.
- 2. Enhanced Brand Image
- Kitting allows you to create product offerings that are exclusive to your brand, helping you stand out in a crowded market. This can contribute to a stronger brand image, encouraging repeat purchases and fostering long-term customer relationships.
- 3. Efficient Warehouse Operations
- By consolidating multiple items into a single package, kitting can help streamline your warehouse operations, especially when particular items are usually purchased together. This can lead to faster order processing and fulfillment, resulting in shorter lead times and happier customers.
- 4. Scalability
- As your business grows, kitting can help you manage increased order volumes more effectively. Shipedge’s WMS allows you to scale your kitting operations seamlessly, ensuring that you can continue to meet customer demands without sacrificing efficiency or quality.
Kitting is a powerful tool that can help eCommerce businesses stand out, streamline operations, and improve customer satisfaction. With Shipedge’s WMS, implementing kitting has never been easier. By understanding the benefits and following the steps outlined in this blog post, you can start leveraging the power of kitting to drive your business forward and achieve lasting success.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to differentiate your brand, delight your customers, and optimize your warehouse operations. Start using kitting with Shipedge’s Warehouse Management System today and unlock the full potential of this innovative strategy.
To get started with Shipedge, or to learn more about us, feel free to contact us below to set up a meeting to further discuss your business needs.
Discover how our WMS can improve your business